Our client is expanding to provide solutions to some of the most challenging and difficult problems that have remained unsolved for decades in the Insurance sector, via a suite of software components and services. This platform is designed to support the development and deployment of large-scale JEE web applications.
Working in an Agile development environment, the candidate is expected to take a leadership role in projects that may span multiple teams, have the ability to deliver on time, ability to work with Product Owners and Architects to clarify and prune requirements, strong verbal and written communication.
The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of software design patterns and be familiar with a number of enterprise application architecture styles. They will have established themselves as the technology expert within their team and be responsible for ensuring best practice in software development is adhered to at all times. A passion for designing and building software and supporting frameworks is a must.
- The role involves being a key Engineer in the Digital Platform team who be responsible for design and development of large features using some of the latest technologies
- The role is technically challenging and is suitable for a person with keen interest in enterprise level development and building scalable web applications with a focus on continuous delivery
- Mentoring of less experienced staff where appropriate e.g. development best practices, peer review of designs, code and tests
- Act as an inspirational figure for your team, constantly pushing them to deliver to the best of their ability and take a keen interest in your team’s professional development. Be seen as a trusted mentor
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, relied upon for critical tasks and take leadership roles as part of delivering working software
- The role encompasses all aspects of the software development lifecycle and will Deliver robust and highly scalable software solutions.
- Ability to work as team player and contribute to team’s objectives
- Minimum 10 years Java/JEE development experience
- Excellent Java programming skills and web application development experience
- Experience in Object Oriented Design and Programming, fluent in Java, proficient in applying common design patterns, ability to communicate design ideas effectively using UML
- Write technical documents to a high standard
- Communicate cross multiple teams to show case new features and functionalities
- Experience of using JEE IDE like Eclipse for development and debugging.
- Experience with the following technologies is highly desirable:
- Web application frameworks
- Persistence JDBC / ORM / Databases
- Web services SOAP / XML / REST
- Application Servers – experience with one or more of WebSphere/WebLogic/Tomcat/ JBoss
- Knowledge of software design patterns including MVC
- Knowledge of non-functional requirements including security/access control, performance, scalability, deployment, upgrade/migration, internationalization, production support and other SaaS enterprise software issues
- Knowledge of software economics and the trade-offs in extensibility and maintainability with respect to design and implementation decisions
- Experience with relational databases (DB2, Oracle, SQLServer) and SQL a distinct advantage
- Experience of working in test driven agile development environment
- JIRA, Subversion and Hudson experience highly desirable