Living & Working in Ireland

We know that making the move to a new country can be daunting. Which is why over the years, we’ve helped many of our candidates not only find a job, but also make Ireland their new home. Check out our relocation guide to help you on your way.

The following is a list of things to help with your move to Ireland. Click to expand.


Employment Permits for Ireland

Any non-European Economic Area (EEA) national requires an employment permit to take up employment in Ireland. There are also some circumstances where non-EEA may not need to obtain an employment permit. Please check the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation for more information on who needs employment permits and the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs for more information on visas.

PPS Number and Income Tax Registration in Ireland

You will require a PPS Number to register for tax purposes before you can start working in Ireland. A PPS Number is a unique identification number required to deal with all of the public services in Ireland. To apply for your PPS Number, you need to be living in Ireland. You will need to visit your local Social Welfare Office and complete a REG 1 application form. You will also need to take proof of address and identification (Passport/National Identity Card/Immigration Card) and your work permit (if required).You will be notified of your PPS number by letter in the post to your address provided on your REG I form. Please notify your consultant within Kaizen once you have received your PPS Number. For further details, please visit the Revenue website.

If you have previously worked in the Republic of Ireland

You will need to give us your original P45 from your previous employer. Until we receive this, you will be taxed at the emergency rate of 41%. Once we have received your P45, this enables us to tax you normally. Depending on the information on your P45 it may take a few weeks to refund any Emergency tax paid. Your P45 will put you on Week One basis. You need to apply to the Tax Office to get a new Tax Certificate on a Cumulative Basis if you want us to refund your Emergency Tax. You can contact the Tax Office on 1890 333 425, they may ask you for the Kaizen tax number – 9770322A.

Accommodation in Ireland

In Ireland, rent is usually paid every month and a deposit of 1 or 2 months’ rent is usually required before you can move in. Below are some websites that will help you with your accommodation search, but remember that we can also help you to find accommodation.

Opening a Bank Account in Ireland

In order to open a bank account in Ireland, you’ll need your passport and a utility (electricity/gas bill) or credit card bill confirming your home address. You have to go to a bank in person in order to open a bank account. Banks usually open from 10am – 4pm. The following is a list of the main banks in Ireland:

  • AIB
  • Bank of Ireland
  • Ulster Bank
  • Permanent TSB
Other Information about Living in Ireland

The Citizens Information website provides detailed information on public services in Ireland. If you have any questions about living and working in Ireland, please contact us and we will gladly help.